Gamemastering

I am known to have opinions about everything, and especially about gamemastering. Some were formed through careful reflection; others came from watching a meticulously prepared adventure collapse in the first twenty minutes. The articles below are my attempt to explain what I think the GM is there to do, why I run games the way I do, and what I have learned when things went wonderfully right or spectacularly wrong.

At the centre of all this is a deceptively simple idea: the GM should create and sustain a world in which the players can act, and in which their actions matter. This requires a great deal more than presenting a story and asking the players to play their assigned parts. It also requires rather more than sitting back and letting anything happen. The difficult, interesting work is somewhere in between.

First, what is the GM actually supposed to do?

Improvisation, preparation, and the campaign that nobody planned

I am very fond of improvisation, which is not the same as inventing increasingly outrageous twists and trusting that they will somehow add up to a coherent campaign. I have tried that too. It was enormous fun, until it wasn't.

Drama, mechanics, and making horror work at the table

A dramatic game does not emerge automatically from dramatic rules, and a horror game does not become frightening merely because the characters are helpless. Much depends on how the GM describes events, handles uncertainty, and chooses when to let a scene breathe and when to unleash hell.

And what are we doing when we roleplay, anyway?

Behind the practical advice is a more fundamental disagreement about what roleplaying is. I am interested in the experience of inhabiting a character and making choices within a world, rather than collaborating explicitly to construct a satisfying plot. I know this is not everybody's idea of the hobby. That is one reason I find it worth arguing about.

This is not a complete archive, and I expect to keep adding to it. For my articles specifically about building investigations, there is a separate guide to designing better RPG mysteries. For reviews, campaign remixes, and the rest of the blog, return to Start Here.

And, naturally, if you think I am wrong about something, do tell me. Arguments about roleplaying can be almost as entertaining as roleplaying, though they hopefully involve fewer Molotov cocktails.

Comments