START HERE

After a few years of writing this blog, I have accumulated a rather unreasonable number of posts about roleplaying games. Reviews and recommendations, practical advice drawn from more than thirty years of running games, and the my oh-so-profound thoughts on why roleplaying is such a peculiar, fascinating, and occasionally exasperating activity.

If the blog were named after Nyarlathotep, imposing order on the chaos would be a questionable endeavour. But NyOrlandhotep is a far more complex entity, being made of both Order and Chaos. Still, the chronological archive is not particularly helpful if you are interested in a specific subject, so here is a guide. This is not a list of every post.

You can start with Ten Tips to Improve Your Call of Cthulhu Games for practical advice, Convergence: Reviewing and Improving the Best Scenario Ever for an example of how I approach scenario criticism, or The Divide if you want to know what I think roleplaying actually is. You may not agree with me. That is perfectly fine; I don't always agree with myself either.

The art of gamemastering

I am interested in the GM's role in creating a fictional world that players can inhabit: a world that reacts to their decisions, resists them when it should, and does not rearrange itself to guarantee the GM's favourite dramatic conclusion. You may not write plots, but there is a great deal of art in choosing what happens next, keeping the game moving, improvising, and noticing when the players are engaged or losing interest.

Designing better RPG mysteries

Mysteries are among my favourite things to run, and I have spent a rather excessive amount of time thinking about how to make them work at the table.

The easiest entry point is Designing Better RPG Mysteries: A Guide to the Series, which links the individual essays in order. For those interested in particular parts:

I have also written about improvising mysteries, aka juggling knives while blindfolded, except the players keep handing you more knives.

Horror, the Mythos, and the pleasures of being terrified

Call of Cthulhu was my introduction to Lovecraftian horror and changed my understanding of what roleplaying could do. I still think horror games offer possibilities for atmosphere, philosophical exploration, and dramatic intensity that are too often sacrificed to formulaic plots or an overreliance on familiar monsters. They also need not be solemn, humourless, or devoid of action.

What roleplaying is, and why I care about it

Not all my articles are about making games run better. Some are about what we are actually doing when we roleplay, how this differs from collaborating on a story, and why the experience can matter so much to us.

Reviews, recommendations, and scenario surgery

I review scenarios and games largely from the perspective of someone who intends to run them.

Campaigns, remixes, and my own scenarios

Some posts concern games I have actually run or material I have written myself. I find it useful to explain not only what I did, but why I did it, including the ideas that worked, the things that surprised me, and the occasional disaster. This is, after all, a hobby in which the players have an annoying habit of doing things that never occurred to the GM.

There are many more articles in the archive, and I continue to add to it whenever I have something worth writing about. If you have a particular interest, I hope this guide helps you find your way around. And if you disagree with something I have written, do say so. Some of my most interesting learnings have come from trying to explain exactly why I disagree with someone else.

Comments